Saturday, December 2, 2017

Day 1 - Travel to Houston

The fog rolled in this morning and therefore our flight was delayed.  Even after the fog lifted there was no sight of the plane. Our flight to PHX was so late there would not be another one from there to IAH until tomorrow. That won't do. We were re-routed though LAX to IAH. We had just 20 minutes to make the connection. If any of you know LAX and SFO when flying out of FAT, it is a challenge for the most part. You fly into a remote terminal and then take a shuttle to the main terminal for your connecting flights. The stars lined up (Thank you God) and our connecting gate was very close. The fun didn't end there. Oh no - We arrived at IAH and called the hotel for the shuttle only to be told it is not running today. Really? Why would I book a hotel without a shuttle. The guy told me he would check to see if he can get another shuttle. We waited and didn't hear back so I checked at the taxi stop and it will be $25 for the taxi. The hotel is 6 miles away, not 4 miles as stated on Expedia. So we waited a little longer for word about the shuttle and then I called the hotel back. He said he was just about to call me to tell me there was no other shuttle to be found. We got a taxi to take us to the hotel. I asked if the hotel would reimburse the taxi fee, of course not. So we were placed in a taxi by the taxi staff person and headed out. Unfortunately, that was when we realized our taxi driver didn't speak English very well. My patience is thin by now. I actually felt sorry for him when he handed us his phone for help with the address. After several wrong turns and calling the hotel for more directions, we finally arrived. Needless to say, I wish I had my friend Cheryl book us the hotel she spoke of right by the airport. When you add the $25 for a taxi the hotel ceases to be a bargain. We are told there will be a shuttle in the morning. In fact, the shuttle is sitting in the parking lot. I suspect they just don't have a driver and it is not a mechanical issue, like we were told. 

Anyway, all is well. We are safe. We made it to Houston. John got us some dinner down the street at Chick-Fil-A and we will watch TV. It seems like we put in a full day already but it is only 9p and that includes the 2-hour time difference so it really is early!

2 comments:

  1. What a frustrating experience for sure! Glad you made it to the ship and hopefully all the rest of this is a distant memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really ended up fine. We made it to Houston, that was the goal for the day. One has to be flexible. If we had NOT made it to Houston I would not be feeling do gracious about it!!!

    ReplyDelete