Thursday, October 10, 2019

Day 11-12-13, October 8-9-10

Tuesday, Oct 8: Somehow we were busy all day! It's Deb's BD and I tried all morning to get on WhatsApp to call her but it never worked. This morning there was a "Chat with the Captain" in the Theater followed by a short documentary on Captain Hook. Both were fascinating to attend. Finally the internet is up and we were able to call Deb!!! We had to rush a bit to get to our 12:15p wine tasting. Afterwards we had a quick bite at the International Café. Back to the cabin where John took a nap and I took my laptop down to the Internet Café/Library where the Wi-Fi does run a tiny bit faster. At least it is running now. It takes some time for the blog post photos to upload to the blog so I only post a few. Oddly enough they upload quite quickly to Facebook. By the time I was done there it was almost time for dinner! Feeling so full I suggested  we swim or something. Almost no one goes to the pools this time of night even though the weather is warm still. First we went to the hot tub on deck 16. It was pretty windy but nice just the same. John enjoyed the HOT water, me not so much. After that we went to the Terrace Pool which was much cooler, so cool John was not going to get in but he eventually did join me. The waves are really active in the pool and we thought of the many times this type of wave (or bigger) was created in the Gibson pool, fond memories. Back to the cabin and bedtime. Tomorrow we must prepare for our first port since Oahu!

Chat with the Captain  
Mushroom Quiche & Greek Salad for Lunch

Today when I was posting my blog the woman next to me got sad news of a death in her family. So sad for her I cried too. I gave her tissue and comforted her. So sad when one is away from home and loses loved ones, no family support around you. At least her husband was there too and seemed very attentive with his arm around her. I can't get her off of my mind…

We saw photos from home with the family celebrating Deb's BD. Feeling a bit homesick. The Family had this great Friends Cake for her, she is a big fan of Friends as we all know.

Other news from home is the house we bid on for Julie is back on the market. To bid again or not? It needs SO MUCH work but could be a nice little house for her. Deb is talking to Tamera and the family will collectively decide what to do.

Wednesday, Oct 9: Today we finally heard about tender tickets for Bora Bora tomorrow. I do hope we are able to make our tour with Viator on time tomorrow. Supposedly we meet on the dock at 9a. We are supposed to be in cleared by 8a, but we need a ticket for the tender and I suppose cruise ship tours will be a priority. We shall see. I would assume that others taking this tour will have the same time constraints and it will work out, if not - that's the way it goes. We spent a very relaxing day as I scrapbooked most of the day. John brought us up something from the International Café for lunch and we went to dinner early. We are all set for tomorrow!

Night Sky
 
Thursday, Oct 10: Bora Bora!!! We were up and out early so we could pick up a tender ticket and be ashore by 9a for our excursion. This is the only excursion I booked outside of the ship but when I did it, I did not realize we were tendered. What a mad house to secure a ticket, a real mob scene. Too bad they didn't do it the day before like I have seen in the past. Anyway, we were on the tender and to the pier before 9a so it all worked out. Unfortunately, we sat there for an hour in the 4X4 vehicle waiting to leave. We were never sure why we were waiting, but we saw the cruise ship excursion with the same company leave before we did. This is a Circle Island tour, there is one road around the island and it is 20 miles in distance. Once we got going we had a good time. We went up 3 "private" roads to see views and WWII remains of cannons. The first road was pretty steep with most of it on blacktop. We saw stunning views on one side and walking 20 ft over stunning views on the other side. I have never seen such amazing waters. Every shade of vibrant blue you can think of. A barrier reef surrounds the island with the only inlet being where the US dredged through the reef during WWII to bring munitions in. No attack ever came here. We have 3 4X4 vehicles in our little group and a commentator telling us what we are looking at for each stop. On to the second stop and the "road" was less paved, mostly dirt and lava rock, and much steeper than the last one. It made me nervous when the tires skid. The vehicle in front of us stopped  on the steepest incline, for an unknown reason, and so we were stopped to. It felt to me like we might slide down the mountain, but all was well. After this we stopped a Matira Beach. There was some explanation about it being the only public beach but then he also said we could go to any beach on the island, so that is unclear. I will need to look that up. Sparkling white sand and pristine water. I enjoyed putting my feet in! Now on to our 3rd and final hill climb. I will not say it was a road because I know it was at one time but it really doesn't resemble a road anymore. I saw the vehicle in front struggling over the large rocks and sinking in the gullies. When one tire raises a foot or more off the ground, it is a bit off-putting for me! But once again we  made it. This stop was the remnants of cannons from WWII. On we go around the island, we had the typical shopping stop where we were given delicious fresh fruit and coconut. Oddly enough, no drinks for sale. It is pretty warm and they would make a fortune selling cold soda or beer I am sure. Our 3.5 hour tour was over and we were dropped off at the pier. We walked around for a little bit but it was hot and we decided to go back to the ship, have lunch, and go for a swim. We really enjoyed that and switched from a lounge to a table near the pool and played cards the rest of the afternoon until it was time to set sail. What a gorgeous island this is. Neither of us are hungry for dinner but we took a look at the buffet and it was "Mexican Night" so I had a taco with great guacamole. John had a variety plate, a little of everything. Tomorrow we will be in Tahiti!

Bora Bora Map

Matira Beach
 

Good-Bye Beautiful Bora Bora

No comments:

Post a Comment