Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Chalon and Beaune, Day 5

Wed, April 10: Today we were in Chalon-sur-Saone and took the guided tour to Beaune. We stopped for a 10 minute stretch on a road with vineyards and had some photo opportunities of the Meursault, Volnay, and Pommard wine regions. On to Beaune and when we got there we first walked to Hospices de Beaune (AKA Hotel-Dieu). There was a discussion about going there on our free time if we desired. It was E$7.  and since I had been there before I was not really interested. I would have gone if Cheryl or Vernae wanted to, but they didn't. First the entire group did our wine tasting at Le Cellier de la Cabiote. Of the 3 wines, 1 was tasty to me. They also offered a taste of crème de cassis, which I declined (I don't care for it). Our guide was nice and even with a heavy accent I had no trouble understanding her.  We walked around a little bit. Both Cheryl and Vernae (a travel agent friend of Cheryl's) love chocolate so we stopped at a couple of shops for that. We also looked in a linen or kitchen store. They had some coated tablecloths but unfortunately, the size was not right for me. I am hopeful I can find something in Avignon! We popped into a café for coffee , which was delicious. We were half way through our coffee when the rain came. It was not bad but we had to move under the awning. Finishing up our coffee we headed back to Hotel-Dieu to join the others. We took a highway back to Chalon, not the slower route via the vineyards. While we ate lunch we slipped our mooring and headed for our next stop at Vienne. The rain wasn’t much and seems to be gone for now.
Wine Tasting
Coffee

Cheryl went off to do something and I watched us pass a lock and listened to the presentation about the next port. Basically, we can walk into town, it is 5 minutes to walk. There will be an orientation walk by this speaker (I can't recall his name) and Sarah at 8:30a. I think I will plan on that. At 10a this tram train will come to the area where we are moored and take just 40 people, one time, into the town. I guess that is for the ones who are just not able to walk there, but that was not actually stated. The "port presentations" or whatever they call them, don't really give much information and what is given is vague.

It is before dinner now and I am typing this blog but I have yet to get my laptop online. I have had spotty service with my cell phone but unfortunately my laptop has yet to actually bring up the page to put in my code! It is a little frustrating. I might try my hotspot the next time my phone works.

We had another nice dinner and chatted long after the meal. I returned to the cabin to type this blog and set up myself for tomorrow. I am tired, but not exhausted. We found out more about the logistics of the tram and walking tour. We can do both. Thankfully, there were 5 spots left. We got 3 of them and another person came up moments later and booked the last 2. That was close!

I have to say the wait staff or servers on this cruise really work hard and they are so accommodating and friendly. I have texted John several times but he is not replying, I even tried to call. It rings but no answer. I hope all is well. (sigh)

No comments:

Post a Comment