Sunday, April 7, 2019

Travel Day 1

What an interesting day! John dropped me off, I have to say Tony looked more concerned than John! Hahaha! I got a cup of coffee at the airport and wouldn't you know the cup had a little leak. I don't believe in omens or I would be concerned. First flight to LAX on time. LAX to CDG on time! 

I have to say Air Tahiti Nui was really nice. Such professional flight attendants. Where else do you get a flower to sniff before take off? I sat with a lovely young couple on their first trip to France. He stored my suitcase for me and she tried to ply me with snacks. I did sleep off and on through a couple of boring movies. The food was pretty good as well. We had chicken and rice with veggie and accompaniments for lunch and before landing we had a choice for breakfast. I took the crepes! Orange marmalade and custard filled - yum! Very sweet and rich, I wish John could have eaten what I did not. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate are offered. I had 1/2 coffee, 1/2 chocolate. It was a little odd hearing Polynesian music and people speaking French at the same time. However, there are many French Tahitian Islands! Of note, nice fragrances occasionally permeated the cabin (both floral and spice) and for some reason the bathroom was pristine near the end of flight. 

My unexpected venture from the norm occurred when I arrived at CDG. It was tiring that I had to walk what seemed miles to transfer for my next flight. However, I kept showing my print out along the way and was told to continue on. I have no boarding pass but I have been reassured I will get on at the elusive F terminal. To my surprise I had to pass security again! This time my bag needed further check but shortly I was on my way to the bus to Terminal F. When I arrived I was instructed to get my boarding pass from the machine with my passport, simple, right? Not so much. Finally, a sweet gal came to help me. She again looked at my document and alerted me I did not have a flight but a TRAIN to Lyon! What?!? Mind you, I don't mind the train but - 1) Where is it? 2) can I get there in time? and 3) What? 

So now I need to get my passport stamped and walk another l-o-n-g ways to the other end of the airport where the train station is. Yep, my train ticket was waiting at the office there. I'm feeling pretty lame but NOTHING other than "operated by SNCF" would have been my clue. I thought that looked familiar but when it says Air Tahiti Nui one just assumes...  Well, ticket in hand I found the right platform, right coach, and low and behold, even the right seat. Phew, I had plenty of time!

Thankfully, I was able to get a message to Cheryl to not expect me at the airport. Our pre-arranged shuttle will bring her to the hotel. I took a taxi from the train station. 

So even though this is Sunday, my Day 1 has finished. You might understand why I am having a nice glass of red wine before heading up to our room. One has to be flexible when traveling. Cheryl should be here in a couple hours!



No comments:

Post a Comment